Friday, November 26, 2010

American Women

I've been thinking lately about women with classic American style. In a quest to spend more money on my house and less on my clothes, I've cut way back on shopping and am working hard to veer away from of the moment impulse purchases and focus more on great quality clothes that will last longer than the current trends. I've been thinking about women I've come across over the years in my fashion career - Marina Schiano, Tonne Goodman, Alexandra Kotur and Deeda Blair - who have great discipline in choosing what works for them best and sticking with it.......yes, a uniform of sorts. I've always felt that at some point in my life I would go down that route. I have no idea if I am there yet - only time will tell of course - but I can acknowledge that the idea is getting more and more attractive. So what is the look that suits me best? That speaks the most to who I am, who I have been and who I want to be? It will likely take me awhile to figure that out, but I know that I am pretty much quintessentially American, and the most consistent style in my wardrobe has been classic, despite having rebelled from it for most of my 20's. So I'm trying to find inspiration in who made classic American style the most interesting. Yes of course pictures of Jackie O  and Lauren Hutton pop into my head right away - especially images of them in the 70's - but I've also been surprised in my constant and obsessive trolling through the internet in search of women with great style - past and present - to find moments of true classic style in less likely places. Those are the ones that excite me most of course.



Clockwise from top: Ali MacGraw, Lauren Hutton, Lauren Bacall, Claiborne Swanson Frank , Jerry Hall, Slim Keith, Aerin Lauder, Asia Baker, Lauren Bacall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment