Friday, November 26, 2010

In Bloom

I don't like taking jewelry with me when I travel. Despite the sartorial payoff, the burden of worrying about losing it always seems greater. This is usually fine except when I am traveling somewhere to go to a dressy party or a wedding. I discovered a solution in 2002 when I went to the Dominican Republic for a friend's wedding that was not only formal but also being photographed by Vogue. As I was getting dressed for the rehearsal dinner I grabbed a handful of bougainvillea that had been placed as a welcoming decoration in the bedroom of our hotel. It worked so well to make my outfit a little more special that the next night I went out into the garden and picked some gardenias to wear in my hair for the wedding. They looked good AND smelled good! I'm not always so lucky to have a garden of fresh flowers to pick from. I once bought a hideous bouquet in the Munich airport and picked out the pink roses to work into my braids for another wedding the next night. This is a great traveling trick but also good for dressing yourself up on home turf too. And even though I'm partial to flowers in the hair they also work in a lapel or on a hat as evidenced below, or in Jane Birkin's case even held in your hand. And although you might shudder at the idea, I once even made a corsage - a gardenia on a thick black grosgrain ribbon tied around my wrist - and wore it to the Met Ball. It worked, I swear.



Clockwise from top: Catherine Deneuve & Francoise Dorleac, Jacqueline Bisset, David Hamilton photograph, Charlotte Rampling, Jerry Hall, Me, Kate Moss, unknown, Gwenyth Paltrow, Joni  Mitchell, Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment