Monday, May 14, 2012

I Love Your Style: My mom in Lilly

Whenever someone asks me who my style icon is, I always put my mom at the top of the list. She had many phases in her life - skinny Palm Beach teenager, chic young wife in the 60's, chic young mother in the 70's, NYC power dressing in the 80's, casual elegance in the 90's, classic American woman today - and all of them influence how I dress. Because of the physical similarities we share (minus her longer legs and bigger boobs), she laid the groundwork in figuring out what suits our similar body type, coloring and lifestyle choices. But my favorite phase of my mother's style evolution is her Lilly Pulitzer phase. When she was 17, my mom got a job working in the Lilly boutique on Via Mizner in Palm Beach. Soon after she became the girl who modeled the clothes for the Lilly newspaper ads. I love these photos because they are such a distinct moment in time when Palm Beach style was becoming defined and first getting noticed. It is now a time that has been emulated and copied a million times over (even by the new incarnation of Lilly Pulitzer itself), so I love being able to witness this moment again and again in its authentic glory. I also enjoy these pictures because my mom's time working at Lilly led to her meeting my dad, who owned an art gallery across the way. In celebration of their wedding, Lilly herself designed a custom floral print for the bridesmaids' dresses. I often wonder and hope that Palm Beach style will evolve in a new direction away from this nostalgia to define a moment and place in time yet again.






5 comments:

  1. What a fabulous story and these photos are amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your blog and these photos are fabulous. What a gorgeous Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother is stunning and those are some lovely dresses.

    http://aspiringforever.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great wedding plan, there should be a Lily bridesmaid Revival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a Lilly lover. I liked seeing the bottom photo in your book, too!

    ReplyDelete