Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A month to go.....

My time in New York is dwindling down, as we are a month away from our year-long sabbatical in England. This week I am heading out to our beach house in Long Island to get it ready for our renters. One of the things I will miss most this coming year is the summer on the North Fork. There is no better mental separation from the work week than arriving at our house late on Friday night and walking down to the beach to hear the waves and see the moon shining on the water. Our house was built in 1949 by the Sardi family - yes, as in Sardi's restaurant. It is classic mid-century modern (with a few less charming 70's additions), but it is not fancy - just about every surface perpetually needs a new coat of paint, the bathrooms could easily benefit from renovation and we haven't gotten around to rebuilding the ugly brick staircase in the front yard. But in fact, it's the imperfections that make the house so easy to enjoy - kids can run through the house in sandy feet and plop down on the couch in wet bathing suits, and it forces me to not to put on my "creative director"cap and try to make everything look exactly as I would want it to. I hope I remember that when I am setting up home in England.







5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, tranquil place to relax! I am sure you will miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous home and setting! I'm getting together with old school friends on Long Island next week and your photos make me all the more eager to go. I came across your fun blog while reading the style section of the NYT. My family spent a sabbatical year in Oxford (http://blog.sarahlaurence.com/2008/07/oxford-sabbatical-index.html) and it was wonderful. I'm looking forward to your posts from across the pond. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're back to blogging! And your beach house: WOW. Love how the interior is laid-back yet really pulled together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please blog about your time in England - we would love to hear about your Green Acres experience! :-)

    ReplyDelete