Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Style: Playing dress-up in Palm Beach

Another discovery as I have been furiously packing was my little pile of photos from the epic children's parties the Azqueta family gave all through the 70's in Palm Beach. Every kid that grew up in Palm Beach during that time remembers these parties because everyone in the whole town was invited. I even found some photos on the web - Samantha Boardman posted hers on Tory Burch's blog and Nicole Robinson put hers up on Facebook. These photos are so coveted because they hold the happiest of childhood memories and because, I think, no one can believe these parties actually happened. They were OVER THE TOP! The entire house and huge backyard was lavishly decorated according to the theme, whether it was a birthday party, an Easter party or a 4th of July party, and the whole outside was filled with carousels, ferris wheels, trampolines, county castles, pony rides, and face painters. As a kid you just couldn't imagine a better party. And now as I look back as an adult I also remember the joy of dressing up for these occasions, as every party the Azqueta's hosted required a costume. I can't help but wonder if this is the genesis of my using clothes to play a role and rise to an occasion. Regardless, the moms' chic, casual 70's sportswear is equally inspiring. Who doesn't love the 70's?

Yes, that's me on the right. I think my face pretty much says it all. And my sister is wearing my mother's lace christening dress. I was so jealous.

l love this picture of my mom (holding my hand) - it says everything I love about 70's style - casual clothes with big hair and big sunglasses.

The Robinson family showing up at the Native American themed party.

Here I am as a pirate. (I love the woman's outfit on the left)


The entrance to the pirate party.

Samantha and Serena Boardman with their mother Pauline, looking chic as can be.

Me, in a moment of reflection, or rather posing. 

6 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! Love it! Can you imagine how much planning went into those parties? I just started following your blog because I read the NYT article about your new adventure in England, and I have to say I'm jealous of the idea of living in another county for year! Hope you have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of these photos! Classic Americana. Pirate; woman on left; love her clutch! I can never thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing to do if you have the space, time and money - I can imagine that one would never forget such fun parties! I, too, am envious of living in England for a year - can't wait to hear about new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of you dressed as a pirate. I am a child of the 70s too, I so relate to these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing these photos. They are great! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Thx for sharing! Love Caroline

    ReplyDelete