Monday, June 11, 2012

Printed Matter: Is That So Kid

I love the integrity of an intense, long term creative collaboration between artist and muse. Hubert de Givenchy and Audrey Hepburn, Yves Saint Laurent and Loulou de la Falaise, Pablo Picasso and Dora Marr, and more recently John Currin and Rachel Feinstein. These of course are the obvious ones, but there are perhaps lesser known pairings that were equally successful and inspiring. From a fashion perspective, my favorite artist/muse pairing is photographer David Bailey and model/actress Angelica Huston, the result of which is compiled into the book "Is That So Kid." Nearly all the designers I have worked for have used these photos for inspiration at some point. At Diane Von Furstenberg we designed a whole collection around the "orchid picture" he took for British Vogue in the 70's. There is something about the transformative nature of Anjelica's exotic beauty that makes every single picture compelling, from natural beach girl to nautical chic woman to high styled fashion glamazon. And the added bonus? See if you can spot Grace Coddington...













6 comments:

  1. Coddington's hair and face are unmistakable! Who is the gentleman in the middle?
    Beautiful pictures, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the orchid picture, it is one of my favorite! She has such a great style and personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. I love Angelica Houston at this time! She was the epitome of a sort of androgynous chic ~ spotted Grace as well as Helmut! I had the great pleasure of working with David Bailey back in my modeling days (he was much older then!)Thought I would dig it up and share!~ http://bit.ly/Nyuuo2

    ReplyDelete