Monday, June 4, 2012

Signature Style: Aymeline Valade

I have the greatest of admiration for women who development a signature style. There are tons of women out there who have great personal style, but it takes an extreme amount of self knowledge and discipline to narrow it down to one defining look or aesthetic. Having a signature doesn't mean you have to wear the same outfit everyday, but it does mean choosing a color story, a silhouette or a proportion and staying with it. Fashion editors are especially good at this - Tonne Goodman is perpetually wearing narrow (but not too skinny) jeans, a tailored shirt, and loafers or Tod's moccasins; Marino Schiano always wears black leggings and an oversize shirt accessorized with big jewelry; and Alexandra Kotur wears classic tailored pants, a soft silk blouse with a slight puff at the shoulder, and any kind of flat shoes. There are other women who choose one signature detail that becomes their defining feature - Anna Wintour's bob, artist Hope Atherton's two tone hair, or socialite Anne Slater's blue glasses. While I aspire to all of the above, I haven't found the look or discipline to make it work for me yet. Recently though, I saw a way to make a baby step in that direction. Model Aymeline Valade came across my radar recently, and when I looked up more pictures of her, I noticed she wears her black leather motorcycle jacket nearly all the time. Now that - the idea of sticking to one item, even just for one season - I think I could handle. If only I could figure out what that key item would be. Stay tuned....






5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her sandals in the last pic. I am inspired to discover what defines my personal style now, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question for Amanda or readers: Do you know the name of the bag Aymeline is carrying in the bottom photo? I'd love to know... Also, I just discovered your blog and look forward to it every day - very interesting and unique. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm a new fan of the blog and an old fan of your book! So glad you're back to writing everyday, I look forward to reading more here! Can't wait to see what you come up with for your personal style, mine are (and has been for a while) pearls. It doesn't matter what I'm wearing, I'm never without my pearl necklace. It used to be one long strand, lately I've ventured out into other sizes and lengths. I even have a necklace the size of Wilma Flintstones' ;)!

    ReplyDelete