Sunday, July 8, 2012

Life on the farm: Dinner time

No frills here, but lots of great memories. I got the table linens from Merci in Paris. Every fashion week I would have exactly 1/2 of one day off in 15 days straight of non-stop fashion shows. I would always spend that time at Merci in Paris buying things for my home, like this tablecloth and napkins, and then have the most delicious lunch by myself at their cafe. It was just a peaceful moment to catch my breath.

The plaid pillows came from a nearby antique shop in Witney. My husband took me there after we dropped our kids at sleepaway camp for the first time last summer, and I was beside myself. So he took me shopping to cheer me up, and I found these pillows made from vintage blankets.

The red ashtray (used here as a salt dish) is my favorite of all. When I was 21, I spent the summer in the South of France with my family. My sister and I dared each other to steal an ashtray from each restaurant we went to. This red one was the trickiest acquisition and it was from my favorite restaurant, La Colombe D'or. As I don't smoke, I finally gave away all the ashtrays a few years ago, but I had to keep just one - and this was it.


3 comments:

  1. I love this story. I used to steal ashtrays from bars and cafes too. When I gave up smoking I gave all but one away also. A Limoges that I found at Rozelle markets in Syndey with the Eiffel tower on it. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends and I used to steal glasses and even sangria pitchers from restaurants! One of them is still displayed proudly in her home. On a less delinquent note, I love how quintessentially British your tabletop is!

    -Erin-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous and I love the story about each item. I'm always turned off by overly stylized rooms in magazines - they are missing the personal history that makes a place a home (versus a showroom or a hotel). Thank you for sharing your stories with us!

    MT

    ReplyDelete