![]() |
![]() |
| The twelve-course Christmas Eve dinner served in our room at the Hiirajiya Ryokan. |
![]() |
| A buddhist priest on his way to work. I love the string and straw sandals they wear, even in winter. |
![]() |
| On Christmas Day we treated ourselves to a guided tour in Kyoto. It was such a relief to just follow someone around all day, not to have my head buried in maps and guide books the whole time. Our guide showed us the best of central Kyoto - the temples, the restaurants, the stores. It was so much fun. |
![]() |
| The beautiful park between temples in Kyoto. Even though it was winter, there was still lots of greenery and sunshine. |
![]() |
| Christmas Dinner at the Hiirajiya Ryokan. |
![]() |
| The tea house at Kokedera. |
![]() |
| The surrounding lake and gardens around the Golden Temple were as stunning as the building itself. |
![]() |
| Christopher and I headed to a New Year's Day soak in the baths. |










.jpg)




.jpg)
Oh my god - so much beauty! You have convinced me to visit Kyoto.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this comprehensive overview. My husband and I are planning our first trip to Japan (Toyko and Kyoto) in April and this information has been so helpful! Beautiful pictures, as well.
ReplyDeleteI made a water color painting from one of the Japan pictures you posted, if you want to see it http://tobesane.deviantart.com/art/They-ate-sushi-too-430495914
ReplyDeleteMy parents took me on a trip to Japan when I was 15. To kyoto as well. The impression will stay with me forever.
I love your blog. You are a gifted writer and story teller.