Friday, December 10, 2010

Home Sweet Home

As much as I drool over minimal interiors and wish that I could live in such ordered simplicity, I know that the one thing I couldn't live without is the personal artwork hanging on my walls. Since I don't have the budget to buy any truly significant kind of artwork I feel incredibly lucky to not only have an artist husband but also lots of artist friends that give, trade or make artwork for me. We're also really big on handmade valentines (large ones!) in our family and those take up a lot of wall space too. 



These aren't handmade, but I do love them so much. I found them in a vintage store - they were some guy's college project in the late 60's. There are 5 of them in total and they were featured in a Vogue Living story about my house.



 A collage I made from Kmart kids' valentines for my husband (2007).


A photo that Jessica Craig Martin took at our wedding, that I then covered with heart stickers and gave to my husband for Valentine's Day (2001).




Left A photogram portrait of my son by his godfather Adam Fuss (2009).
Right A watercolor of Lil Kim by Jane Rosenblum. It was a wedding present (2000).




Two heart collages I made for each of my kids for Valentine's Day (2005).


A drawing from Planet of the Apes, by Jane Rosenblum (2000).



Left A watercolor portrait of me by Anh Duong (1998).
Right When I worked at Gagosian Gallery I got to work with one of my photography heroes, Sally Mann. She used to write me notes and letters on the back of her unseen, unpublished photos and then fold them up like stationary and put them in an envelope. This is my favorite one (1998).



This one has a story: When I was in 7th grade, I transferred to Horace Mann and went to more Bar Mitzvahs than I could count. During that time I really wished I was Jewish so I could have my own Bar Mitzvah. There were many aspects of Bar Mitzvahs that I was envious of, but I was especially crazed about the enlarged photo of the honoree everyone signed as they entered the reception. By the time I got married 13 years later I was still thinking about the signed photo so I used this picture Arthur Elgort took and had it made into a poster that everyone signed as they arrived. I still smile everytime I pass it in the hallway.




Another Valentine I made for my husband. I got the quote from a photo of a pillow in Helen Hurley Brown's living room. Go figure (2008).




A Valentine Christopher made for me. I love how surfer-y it is (2008). 



Left Our friend David Yarritu made this from an Us Weekly cover - he blacked out everything but Hollywood, Star Jones' face and that big smile. He then made the cutouts at the bottom with a hole puncher. I think it's genius (2008).
Right I love to make photo collages. It's so much easier to look at photos that way instead of hiding them in albums. This picture was from Domino (2003).

2 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing your creative art! It looks great. I can't afford real artwork either so I have supplied my home with thrift store finds (including some great framed Nagel prints). Everyone always compliments what I've got on the walls, not realizing it hardly cost me anything. I'm sure they do the same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your artwork inspired me to make some of my own valentine's this year! I think I'm going to actually make a poster size print of one of them! Your style is inspiring, thanks for sharing! All your jobs that make up your career sound amazing, any advice for a young creative girl? I'm sure you're very busy, and it's silly to ask via blog comment, but I'd love for advice or to know how you got to where you are! zoretic.2@osu.edu

    http://dreamzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete